the companion library to our previous SD047 GLASS Unusual FX library.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... ctical-fx/
SD048 GLASS Practical FX includes:
GLASS Breaks & Smashes
GLASS Debris - drop, move, scrape, drag
GLASS Shards - single drops, sorted by break, or clean
GLASS Stress cracks, creaks & grinds
GLASS Auto Windscreen - hit, break, crack, twist
GLASS Footsteps - on single fragments, debris, scrapes, twists, drags
GLASS Moves - pane scrapes, edge friction
GLASS Shake - multiple performed
GLASS Pane Hits - small, medium, large - deep resonant ringing & damped
GLASS Dings - wine glass 'ding' empty & w water, then two together x cheers
GLASS Taps - percussive, decay & resonance variations
GLASS Vessel - friction moves & scrapes
GLASS Chandelier Bits - tinkle, handling, pickup, putown, drops
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... object-irs
Sweeps were captured in 32 empty glass objects, then filled with water, and then jelly!
This collection of GLASS Object Impulse Responses contains five specific approaches:
1. 32 Empty Glass Object IRs were captured using an MKH8020 mic. The two yard glasses (& other narrow neck bottles) were captured using a DPA4060 mic. These objects can be thought of as a tiny concert hall, with small scale room modes and peaky resonance with a glassy tone. The IRs tend to be short & high frequency, with the total volume and the size of the neck contributing to their tonality.
2. Pitch shifted IRs at half speed & quarter speed.
As with all convolution, frequencies that are common to the source and the IR are accentuated, for example if you convolve a sub bass sound with a violin you get nothing. So as an experiment I tried pitch shifting the 32 Glass Object IRs, and at both half speed and quarter speed the spectrum of the resonance is lowered into potentially useful range, and of course elongated.
3. Underwater IRs Next each of the objects were filled with water and underwater IRs were captured using a hydrophone. As water is denser than air, the speed of sound is faster which equates to higher frequency, faster reflections and strangely harmonic ringy IRs. Pitch shifted underwater IRs at half speed & quarter speed are also included.
4. Jelly IRs. Three of the objects were filled with jelly, and IRs were captured with the hydrophone set in three flavours of jelly. Pitch shifted Jelly IRs at half speed & quarter speed are also included. Jelly causes strange harmonic resonance.
5. Iterated IRs While working on this collection I was reminded of the fascinating work by Alvin Lucier – I Am Sitting In A Room, where Lucier played a recording of his voice into a room, captured the room sound and then replayed it into the room, again recording it. As the process is repeated again and again, the dialogue becomes entirely unintelligible as the iterated room acoustic slowly becomes a harmonic drone.
To achieve this with an IR, I iterated the process playing the captured IR back into the object. As a test, I iterated ten times and found the IRs rapidly became diffuse and accentuated tonal resonance, with blurred transients. Some iterated IRs almost sounding like harmonic feedback while others latched on to low frequencies. Based on the results I decided to include the first and third iterations.
In total this collection contains 345 Impulse Responses.
Sweeps were captured in 43 metal objects, ranging in scale from a soda can to an empty grain silo, along with 3 waterphones and 8 vintage gas tanks.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... e-response
FX009 METAL GATE CREAK FROM HELL
While doing an alpine wind recce at Tukino Ski Field, I came across a metal security gate
that shrieked like demonic feedback! I ended up spending a few hours capturing creaks,
slams, shakes as well as latch, chain & lock actions.
Check the Making Of vid, amazing location!!
(2.04GB as 39 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$29)
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... metal-gate
FX010 MUD POOL x HYDROPHONE
On the same recording trip I revisited a geothermal mudpool and recorded from
beneath the surface, risking a pair of hydrophones to the boiling mud.
(1.39GB as 12 x 24bit 96kHz stereo .WAV files US$29)
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... ydrophone/
UNIT FX are our super-affordable laser-focused single-prop libraries,
while still pursuing high resolution and multiple takes.
UFX009 CAMERA BOLEX H16 FILM
(1.43GB as 60 x stereo 24bit 192kHz stereo .WAV files US$15)
Originally recorded for a film back in 2010, this library captures all actions from
a spring wound Bolex 16mm film camera: wind up, operate at 8, 16, 24, 64fps
as well as single frame, using a Sanken CSS5 mic plus Dual Contact Mics.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... lm-camera/
UFX010 BITE Apple
(64MB as 4 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$6)
Sweet Tango apple variety are reknown for maximum crunch due to having cells twice the
size of regular apples. They currently hold the Guinness World Record for loudest crunch,
so I got some, recorded high rez bites and cracks, then some hangry zombie bites.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... bite-apple
UFX011 POP Cork
(78MB as 7 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$6)
The liquor industry is transitioning away from cork, so sustainability means less
true cork pops in the future. These are red wine and liquor bottle cork pops
(not fizzy champagne) - sound great detuned!
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... 1-pop-cork
UFX012 SQUEAK Cork
(167MB as 5 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$6)
Same corks, but close mic'd so I could perform characterful squeaks.
Great material for cute character vocals for animation and video games!
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... queak-cork
UFX013 METAL Car Jack Wrangle Weapon Foley
(250MB as 10 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$10)
My very first car was a Ford Escort MK1 and its tyre jack was invaluable for weapon foley.
A few decades later I sourced another & performed a wide range of moves, handling & rattles.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... ack-weapon
UFX014 AIR Blow Bottle
(27MB as 6 x 24bit 96kHz .WAV files US$6)
While I had the bottles in the studio I performed breaths across the open bottle top.
Useful for granular as well as projectile trails, whooshes, transitions, textures and drones....
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... low-bottle
AMB018 STRANGE RAIN
12.3Gb of multi channel rain recording as it falls on different objects and surfaces
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/soundlibrar ... ange-rain/
All microphones survived!